Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Esther Oakley
    Participant

I haven’t had a chance to go through and write down details, but since you asked for it… here’s my largest piece of feedback. I’m super hesitant to say this since I haven’t been involved from the beginning and it’s so great to see what is here and so far and how awesome this is going to be, and I hate to give critical feedback, but here goes, from my design / PM / QA hat.

The best book I ever read about web design was this:
    Don’t Make Me Think

And that sums up the challenges I’m having with the site so far. Part of the reason I haven’t had a chance to spend a lot of time here is because I haven’t wanted to because it seems hard. I have to think, instead of following intuitive processes. Most things are not where I would naturally expect them to be based on the way we’ve been trained on other sites, or they are confusingly in separate places instead of together, or named strangely, etc. Notifications don’t behave as I’m used to (they don’t clear having been seen), and the mobile version seems so different than the desktop version.

I know this is not very actionable feedback so I apologize for that, but I wanted to finally write this up instead of continuing to delay.

Let me know what questions you have!!

Brian Cruikshank
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback, Esther. I totally understand.

I’m trying to make things as easy as I can, but I’m also running against limitations of the platform.

The notifications feature is huge issue, but hard to solve. I would much rather messages be separate from other notifications like they are on Facebook and have asked upstream tool developers.

The best thing you can do though is point out the issues you see so if there is something I can do, I can focus my efforts there.

Best,
    Brian

Esther Oakley
    Participant

Ok I made a list:
    Beta Testing feedback

I think the biggest overarching issue is that this site is trying to do A LOT, which is awesome, but it needs a stronger top down design because of that. Pieces are all over the place and it causes a bit of a headache trying to understand what is where.

I apologize in advance that all but one of the things on the list is critical – but that’s obviously the point of this, to find where to improve, I just hate doing it when it’s not my “job”.

It’s really really fun to see this coming together and I can’t wait for it to be the best it can be!!

Lizzy Tomber
    Participant

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us all this feedback – we really appreciate it!

Lizzy Tomber
    Participant

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us all this feedback and type up a list – we really appreciate it!

Esther Oakley
    Participant

Thanks Lizzy, I hope it’s helpful! The site is so exciting and I want it to rock! 😀

Patrick Michaels
    Participant

I joined via mobile, and I’m still getting used to all the mobile sites. . . the 3 dashes in the upper right is the menu, and that is something I am getting used to overall. Its a mobile thing.

As for desktop, I don’t know if you’ve changed it, but the top bar is kinda like the standard word press menus. That is a change that is kinda new. People are used to the side tabs, but with the different sections, putting it on the side would just make it more confusing.

The WordPress thing of lacking the tab feel is slowly becoming a known thing. But then I was stuck in the pre-2010 era of tabs across the top should look like folder tabs.

Once I figured out there was totally different sections, the top part was easy when i finally made it to the desktop.

The only thing i could think of to make it easier, would be a video tour till you’ve marked it as seen. ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.